Nutraceuticals in Veterinary Medicine covers ABSC Organics’ clinical trials at Colorado State University in Cannabis Chapter
We’re delighted to see the CBD clinical safety and efficacy trials we’ve sponsored at CSU highlighted in the recently published Nutraceuticals in Veterinary Medicine textbook. With over sixty chapters covering supplements and their use in animals, this textbook from Springer is a comprehensive resource for veterinarians and researchers. Chapter 10—entitled “Cannabis in Veterinary Medicine: Cannabinoid Therapies for Animals—delves deep in the science and research around veterinary use of cannabis and CBD.
Comprehensive Treatment of Veterinary CBD Use
The chapter covers everything from the history of veterinary cannabis use and regulatory and legal considerations to a deep dive into the chemistry of the cannabis plant and the pharmacology of cannabinoids such as cannabidiol (CBD). Highlighted topics include:
- The 2018 Farm Bill and its effects on industry and research
- Detailed look at the endocannabinoid system (including a terrific graphic illustrating the feedback loop for the endocannabinoid signaling system)
- Nutritional value of Cannabis/Hemp seed oil – Fatty acid profile has anti-inflammatory properties
- Review of the endocannabinoid system (ECS) in humans – including beneficial effects for sleep, anxiety and stress, obesity and metabolic disorders, cancer, and inflammatory conditions
- Review of the ECS in animals – focuses on dogs but touches on all mammals, birds, fish, and even invertebrates
- Phytocannabinoids, terpenes, and the Entourage effect (importance of full spectrum CBD product to achieve synergistic benefits from all compounds)
- Good manufacturing processes and the importance of organic hemp
- The importance of third party lab testing for potency and contamination
- Completed and ongoing clinical trials at Colorado State University and Cornell
Clinical Trials at CSU Featured
Beginning on page 140 (Section 6) the authors cover the Colorado State University clinical trials in impressive detail. They discuss everything from the Phase One safety study to the efficacy studies for epilepsy and osteoarthritis. We are thrilled to see everything we are learning with Dr. McGrath and her team at CSU consolidated in a textbook that will inform veterinarians for years to come.
Cannabis Chapter Available on FDA Website
Currently, you can view the entire Cannabis chapter on the FDA’s website here. The authors submitted the paper as part of the public comment process for the FDA’s Proposed Rule: Scientific Data and Information About Products Containing Cannabis or Cannabis-Derived Compounds; Public Hearing; Request for Comments.
Every time our research is published, we advance the CBD knowledge bar a little further. Our goal is to keep researching CBD to provide optimized dosing recommendations and determine even more applications for the powerful supplement. As we keep learning, we’ll keep sharing the news and knowledge with you here on our blog, so stay tuned!
Need to purchase ABSC Pure Organic CBD Oil™ for your pet? Shop now!